Thursday, June 21, 2007

Back to Life - Back to Reality

Yes this 1989 hit from Soul Ii Soul has been playing through my head since the moment I walked into my home from my SouthEast Asian travels. Cheesy, yet appropriate.
It says it all. The song expresses what I cant. Not the most poetic of tunes, but it fits.



So we ran out of coffee creamer and I really really wanted coffee. I love STRONG coffee, so the FF milk in the fridge wouldnt cut it. Then it hit me: Vietnamese White Coffee. I looked in the cabinet and found a can of FF sweetened condensed milk. YES - IT IS AWESOME!! I didnt put nearly as much as I had in Ho Chi Minh and it was fat free as opposed to the full flavor variety of Vietnam.....but I am hooked.

I returned to work this week. I should have taken the week off, because my mind still isnt where it should be to function fully in being back. I was able to take off the whole day on Wednesday. It was much needed, physically and mentally. I had a nice welcome and most everyone was interested and asking about my trip. I still dont really talk about it, unless someone asks. I know that some people had said that their friends get sick of hearing about their trip, so I have been so conscious of not talking that I dont feel as though I am getting to share much. People really arent interested, but I am attributing that to my philosophy on egocentrism. (Thanks for listening Annette!) Is there a support group out there??? :)


Instead of preparing so much for the shock of going on the trip as well as studying the Vietnamese/Cambodian cultures, I wish I would have had a bit more preparation of how to integrate myself back into my life here. I am chaulking all this up to learning experiences, but that is so cliche!

Great Memories!




2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm still interested in listening! Why else would I keep checking in on this blog???!!!

See you next week.

Unknown said...

Ashley.. how about emailing me if you get a minute (ladnohr@aol.com) .... I'd like to hear more and share a similar experience with the "integration" back into society ... sometimes, we don't have to leave to get that same feeling!!! That re-evaluation of what's trival and what isn't ... would like to talk to you about it .. if you've got the time ... if not, I'll just talk your ear off at the next appointment ... bring pictures ... LOL hugs-rhonda