Sunday, May 27, 2007

Workshops, Strep and the Beach

Hi All,
My family knows, but for the rest I will admit I had an illness. I came down with strep throat on Wednesday morning. I healed enough to make the weekend adventure to Hai Tien, which was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my entire life. I am feeling a bit better and will hopefully not relapse, as we know has not been fun for me over the past year or so!
Anyway, we traveled about 3.5 hours away to the Kymer Village of Hai Tien. We went rock climbing along the Cambodian Border in caves that were used by the Viet Cong during the war. We also visited a pagoda that you enter and walk through a cave and on the other side of the mountain is the beach!!! It was awesome. Reminded me of the one in The Goonies!! Kept waiting to see a pirate ship! :)
The food here is the same: rice, rice and more rice. Good thing I can eat rice!! I have tried several dishes, mostly shrimp, fruit and seafood. My favorite treat is Green Coconuts. They just plop a straw in and let me slurp away! AAAHHH they are awesome!
On a more somber note, we were eating at a cafe and some children came up to us (as they usually do, we do stick out you know!!!) and one of the children kept wanting us to buy lottery tickets from him.....but of course for many reason we do not. So one of our professors pulled out a coin and played a bit of "magic" with him. So the boy figured it out and got the coin. The next thing we knew, the little boy flagged down a man carrying a cart full of snow cone type drinks and the little boy ran and bought himself one. Knowing he was a street kid, which I can explain to you all when I return, and that $.06 made one little boy smile for about and hour was so precious.
Earlier this week, I have encountered the nicest people. When I was sick, the maid kept checking on me and even gave my back a massage!! (For my pervert friends: NO HAPPY ENDING!!!) Then when I would go to have tea, the waiter brought me a rose to make me feel better!! I wouldnt get that at Motel 6!! HAHA, anyway there is so much to tell and show. I just can not think of what to say right now! I have definitely had to reesablish my perspective of poverty....... that is an understatement!
Going to go for now. More to come!
Peace ~ Ash

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Ash- Glad to hear you are getting better....dad has cut hay and it kinda bothered ryans asthma so I called the Dr and got him started on steriods...anyway hope you have a wonderful time at the beach and cant wait to hear those great stories upon your arrival! I love you!

Jen said...

Ash-
So happy you're feeling better! I am so glad to read about your adventures there!

Can't wait to hear more! :)

Carol said...

Hey Girl- Glad to hear ou are feeling better! Yes- the green coconuts are the best- there are strret vendors in South Beach who sell them like crazy! We all went to Jennie's wedding and she looked beautiful! Well I am off to work on the front lawn- finally!!!!!! Miss you and be safe- Carol