Monday, May 21, 2007

An Giang University

Hello All!
I arrived in Long Xuyen on Sunday evening, so I have started my classes at the University. Everyone is pretty nice and it is so interesting how our society views child abuse and violence and how differently they view those concepts. We studied a couple of social service agencies while in Ho Chi Minh. When I have more time, I will give more details, but social work here is not thought of being professional. Unless you are a government worker, you are a volunteer....even with schooling/training. So think back 40 years or so here in the US.
We are studying aspects of abuse and human trafficking this week and then will get to visit an agency. I have 2 more weeks of classes, then we travel to Cambodia.
I have met some really cool people here and know that I have made some new friends for life. Again, I wish my husband was here to experience this with me, but despite that inconvenience the experience is AWESOME!
It continues to be hotter than hell, but that just means i get my own sauna everyday!!! LOL We went to another market last night and I beleive are trying a new local restaurant tonight. Its about $2 to $6 daily to eat......that just means more room to bring back souveniers...after I buy WATER!!!
Well, time to go back to class..........oh yeah, I am a pro at the squaters now!!! LOL
MOM - Rach: i will try callig you very soon!!!
Peace ~ Ashley

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Ash- it totally sucks you have strep...dont know if you got my text but im trying to keep things to a minimum, that's why I post things on here. Anyway, hope you are still having a good time despite the illness...we can't wait to see you! Miss you much and love you!!

Jen said...

Ashley,
This just keeps on getting more interesting. I'M JEALOUS! I know, weird, coming from me who was scared for you to go!

I am so proud of you! YOU GO GIRL!

Rachel said...

Ash- So sorry I missed your call, I slept in moms room cause it was like 900 degrees in my and ry's rooms so we went down there and I couldnt find a phone....dad said you were doing better and I'm glad to hear that...I miss you and talk to you soon!!! Love you!

Kelly said...

Hi Ashley,
Sorry to hear you were sick. Hope you get better soon!
Everything is working out well here. Hope to hear an update soon.
Kelly

Unknown said...

Hi Ashley - Your mother told me about your blog. Sorry to hear you are suffering with strep! Blog is neat(love the pic and quote) and your experience priceless ... less the throat thing ... LOL ... I'm bookmarking this and will check on you from time to time ... Hope you're feeling better soon -Rhonda(aka Dr. Stamm)

Jen said...

Hope you get well soon!

Carol said...

Hey lady- I hope you are feeling better- I love that you are learning so much! Hey I took a photo for you- Miami Ink!- see you soon- Carol

Adam said...

UPDATE: Unfortunately, Ashley was ill this past week. Ashley had strep throat and had to stay in her room for a few days. (Which is why she couldn't get to the internet cafe.) She is feeling much better now. This weekend, the group went to southern Vietnam and are staying at an ocean front resort. She will have much more to report very soon. Despite her illness and staying back a few days, she is still experiencing so much and will have many pictures and stories for everyone soon.
-Adam