Monday, May 28, 2007

My Vietnamese Roomate

Hello all!
Sarah and I have a new roomate.....Phuong! She was one of the volunteers that showed us around Ho Chi Minh City at the social services agencies that we studied. She is visiting and attending our classes this week and needed a place to stay, so why not with us!!!! She is teaching us so very much. The Vietnamese are such giving people! She is only 17 years old, but a true sweetheart!
Today we looked at the assessment of communities and families. With all of our lectures, we always break into groups where there is an even mixture of Vietnamese students, WVU students as well as those who can translate English/Vietnamese very well. Thus, we are able to get a wide range of perspectives in order to effieciently convey the social work concepts to the other students. The group work is amazing! I have to admit that I was hesitant at first, but group processes are AMAZING!!! I am learning so much from the students at An Giang University! The group work I was involved with today consisted of methods of gathering data as well as a rapid family analysis. How well this goes along with my COSA track in school as well as some aspects of my job back home as well!!!
For the most exciting part of my whole experience here thus far......I got fitted this evening for my very own custom Ao Dai!!!!!!!!! This is the traditional Vietnamese dress for women!! Chi's aunt makes these traditional Vietnamese gowns and I got to pick out the fabric and style and everything!!! I can not wait!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then Chi enabled me to enjoy my favorite part of the trip.....but that is to be discussed at a later time!!! :) Our dinner tonight was absolutely AMAZING! We ate these pancake type things that are similar to omlets and they had sprouts, shrimp, pork or beef....I dont know, but this is the definitely the best meal I have had thus far!!!!
Well, I have definitley gotten the sickness out of the way and just in time!! I have already made dibs on being Neal's Program Coordinator for next years trip!!! HAHA, we will see -- At least I can be a part of this program one way or another. I have no regrets, missing my family or not!
I have the best buds here too! Sarah, Wes, Phuong and last but NOT least.....Chi!!!
Hopefully be back on tomorrow!
Peace ~ Ashley........by the way Dr. Rhonda, by far the best to hear from you!! Cant wait to show you pics while we do dental work!!! HAHA!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Another amazing post, Ashley! I love hearing about your trip! Keep 'em coming!

**I can't wait to hear about your favorite part of the trip....Don't leave us hangin' for too long! :)

Natalie said...

Ashley! I miss you so much! I miss our talks and gossip sessions. We missed you bunches at Disney World. I hope you feel a lot better and I can't wait to see you very soon! Love you bunches!

Kelly said...

It's nice to see you posting again. I was feeling a little lonely with my new found hobby of stalking your blog. Your cliff hanger posts are killing me. You know how hard it is to wait 5 weeks for more information! :) I understand it may be a little rough to talk a lot tho.
Here's a cliff hanger for you...
I'm going to a retirement party this week AND a staff farewell party :) HMMMMM...

Hoai Phuong said...

Hi Ashley, I read this article long time ago but I've got no chance to leave a comment at this post. :D I want to say that I'm so grateful to you. Thank you so much for considering me your lovely roommate. It means so much to me for it makes me feel like there was no distances between us who is far away from each other about a half world. You were so kind to me. It's the truth and I really appreciated that. We will keep in touch, won't we?