Thursday, May 17, 2007

Miss Saigon in the house!

Hey All!!!
First of all, how cool is it that I am in a city full of 4.5 million people and only about half of them tried to fun over me with their motos today!! HAHA -- so far I am taking it all in. It smells different, sounds different and obviously looks different. I am absorbing this experience so I can share with you all. Its incredible. Today we walked around the largest city in Vietnam and visited a market. Not only did I see beautiful silks and jewelry, but I also saw an open fish and meat market where I was inches away from fresh pig brains, giant carrots and a VERY aggressive shop owners. I purchased postcards, so those should be on their way shortly. I was able to experience a green coconut today! That is a a mild cold drink that we can have if bottled water isnt available. I also ate dragon fruit as well as some other exotic fruits that were AWESOME!!!! I am not sure I can eat my Dole pinapple ever again!! HAHA..........on a more somber note, we visited a shelter for girls who were rescued from human trafficking today. It reminded me of a group home, sort of like what we have at home only for younger girls. We recieved a lecture today on the social services for individuals in the child welfare system similar to what we have, only a MUCH different culture and attitude. I worked with a woman who has been a social worker here since the 60's. She has worked in the the field of child welfare/adoption/trafficking and was able to show me the perspective of their culture. I was amazed.
We also enjoyed a traditional Vietnamese meal, visited a local coffee cafe and hung out with some local students. It rocks. I can explain, but I hope to be able to better communicate once I get more than 2 hours sleep!!
I love you all and know that this is the chance of a lifetime - no words can explain.
Peace ~ Ash

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Ash- How awesome are you!!! I cant stop being excited for you and I check your page often for updates....doing dinner with Adam tonight....cant wait for more updates!!! Love ya! ~Rach

Adam said...

I have communicated with Ashley (via text messages) and she is still having a wonderful time. Apparently, there is a loud karaoke bar next door to their hotel. She was unsure if she was going to make it to the internet cafe today or not (it's 8 pm there, so I doubt it.) I just wanted to let everyone know she is doing great and having an amazing time.

Kelly said...

Sounds like so much fun. I'm trying to imagine what it must be like for you being surrounded by another country.
I have became the "blog stalker" and check in here often. Can't wait to hear more updates.
All is well here. Off to lunch with Penny!

Jen said...

Ashley,
I sit here reading your blog and the other adventure bloggers' comments and I am tearing up a little. How wonderful it is for you to experience all of this, but how awful that children are in distress all across the world. Kudos to you and the other social service workers trying to make a difference!

Off to lunch with Penny. We miss you! XOXO

*I think I'll need a box of tissues just for reading your blog!

Adam said...

I just spoke with Ashley as she was just going to bed (1 AM her time, 2 PM our time) after a long day of visiting agencies and sites. She told me that they visited a Pagoda and that she met and prayed with monks and even had her picture taken with one of the "untouchable" monks. She told me that her food today was much better than yesterday's meal. They have one more full day in Ho Chi Minh City and will begin their travels to the An Giang province on Sunday. She told me of some other experiences that only she can describe, so I will leave that to her. She will try to get to the internet cafe tomorrow evening.
-Adam