Monday, August 20, 2007

It's Over?

It has been just a couple of days shy of two months home from South East Asia. I am not sure if anyone even reads this anymore....but I felt compelled to write. I write to you tonight before I lay my head down on my "last" day of summer. I received my grades from summer school, which are excellent, and realized I hadnt registered for my fall classes that start this week.
I have learned a lot this summer about the world, my environment and myself.
I talk about my trip when I can or when I think of it. I picked up Chinese the other day and talked with the lady who owns it. She asked if we needed utensils and my coworker asked if I wanted Chop Sticks. I said no, but the proprietor went on to tell us that she hadnt used chop sticks for about 10 years. She motioned how you would hold them in your hand and said they hurt! It was the most pleasant exchange of conversation I had since being back! I eat there a lot right now. It doesnt really taste of SE Asia, but it reminds me a little of our stytofoamed lunches that were catered to us in class in An Giang.
I took the day off today unexpectantly. I awoke at 6am and felt wonderful. The best I had felt in months. I told my husband that I was taking a ME day. Its the first day I took off without being sick.......the Giardia has continued to emerge only now I think its called post-travelers IBS. That compounded with an illness doesnt make for much productivity!! So, I wanted to read a book - enjoy the day - by myself. It was fantastic! I needed to know that I could enjoy myself and not have to be sick to have a day off, not just from work, but from life. Anyway, as I was taking in some much needed vitamin D, I noticed a lizard emerge from one of the slats in my back deck. It was beautiful! It was small and slender with the most vivid blue/turqoise tail I had ever seen. I kept waiting for it to chirp, much like the ones our hotel was covered in while we slept in Vietnam. The lizard didnt chirp, neither did the 2nd or 3rd one I saw. I was disappointed, yet smiled. No one else would know that some lizards chirp or that I would have a sudden craving for a huge pot of the Long Xuyen's special soup!
I dont know if anyone still reads this, but its ok. I know that the experience is over and done with in everyone's calendars......except mine. Everyday I am reminded of my experience and how I am forever changed by it. Every day is a new day.....its really not over.
Till next time,
Peace ~ Ash

No comments: