Saturday, June 16, 2007

I won the Pot....literally!

Dedicated to Neal and Jim:
So approximately 3 weeks ago two gentlemen, whose names appear above, put together a pool. Now, for disclaimer's sake, I understand an appreciate the dark humor of the two! Thus, the pool was called the "Parasite Pot," which collected money to award the first student who contracted the first parasite of the trip. OK, OK, this sounds horrible.....but let me give you a little history on the group. First of all, as with all groups, the dynamics are always tested. Some individuals fell ill from the stress of traveling (as in my case with the Strep Throat the first week) and some becuase they do NOT listen (as in the case with those who had ice, poorly cooked food and fresh veggies). So, you can imagine with a group of headstrong individuals who heed no warnings.....something was bound to pop up in one of our bodies!
I won the pot. No I am not joking. I, one of the careful ones, who listened and attempted to eat and drink as safely as possible took home the title of "Parasite Pot." I can laugh at it now, but at 3am - after the experience of the Brothel and Angkor - I begged my roomate and Dr. Susan to just let me die!!!! I have NEVER in my life experienced pain so bad in my life. To make a long and disgusting story short and lacking gross details: I contracted Giardia and experienced Ecoli poisoning. Thank God Susan took this trip with us. She was a godsend! I received medication for the Giardia and began antibiotics for the poisoning. I was taken to an SOS clinic in Phnom Pehn as soon as we arrived from Siem Reap. The diagnosis was exactly as Susan had treated me for. I am feeling much better now. I am still watching what I am eating and have cramping, but I do have medication for that as well. At least I am alive! HAHA, just kidding....well this is my last night in Ho Chi Minh city before leaving for the airport at 315am.
Peace ~ Ashley & the Siem Reaper (yes I named it - I earned that priveledge!)

***Just to update on this post....I am doing considerable better. I have to have some bloodwork and other tests ran, but as long as I continue to stay hydrated, I feel better. Thank you Susan and the rest of the gang for supporting me. As you all know I HATE attention drawn to me, so your patience and understanding means so much. Susan, thank you for sacrificing yourself and your sanity to keep this group together. We were truly blessed having you for over a month.
Ash

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow! I am so glad you are doing better! That's scary.

I am glad you are doing etter and that you are home. I hope to catch up with you soon! :)