Friday, June 8, 2007

Cambodia!!!

Hey Guys!
Thank you so very much for all your comments! I am bittersweet at this point because it is almost over....but so much to come! We arrived by boat to Phnom Penh, Cambodia from Vietnam on Wednesday. This country is so beautiful, but to tell you the truth, knowing the corruption and trafficking saddens me! We visited the Genocide Museum from Pol Pot regime as well as toured the city of Phnom Penh. We thing visited the King's Palace.....it was truly breathtaking. I have never visited a palace or been able to stand 10 feet away from a throne!!! The best part of Phnom Penh so far was meeting a street child who Dr. Newfield, Dr. Newfield and Jim Keim met with last year. She was at risk of being swept up in the sex traficking buisness, however she is doing well and continuing with school. I was able to meet and interview with her two nights in a row and am able to communicate with her via email. She is 17 and works selling books on the street to tourists and travelers to pay her way through school. Her dream is to go to the university!! More details to come when I return home!
We arrived in Siem Reap today after a 5 hour long bus ride. We saw beautiful country side, rice fields and the opportunity to eat insects! WOW - no, I did NOT partake in this activity. Actually, none of us did. The pictures will say it all! Anyway, we are in a nice hotel and were able to visit one temple of the Angkor Wat temples. I stayed until sunset and have AMAZING Pictures! I can not believe that I am here experiencing this! Tomorrow we are visiting a social service agency and then spending the day at Angkor Wat! The people here are so sweet and I have a new favorite food, PASSION FRUIT! My breakfast of choice now! We will be traveling back to Phnom Penh on Sunday and then will be going back to Ho Chi Minh City until we leave on the 13th.
As I said before, this is truly bittersweet. I have experienced so much in so little time. I have made some incredible friends all over the world! I am blessed and humbled. I cant express what I feel....I miss home, but this is ending so soon. The world is so wide open to me right now, there are so many things out there that I never understood or entertained the idea of doing. Lots to think about on my 18 hour plane ride home!
Well, I am not sure how often I will be able to post on here in the next days as I am literally breathing it ALL in! Thank you all for your support and know that this is a dream come true in so many ways that I can only touch on.
Peace ~ Ash

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Ash...I'll make it short..soo glad you are getting a good experience...you are lucky to be able to have this...this will be unlike any other experience...continue to stay safe and have a safe trip home..some groups have been 'made' but not sure if they all have registered...see ya soon...Kim

Kelly said...

Hey there. Wow, what a quick 5 weeks! I can't believe you went and it's almost over. Now I'm sad for you that you have to leave but happy you'll get to see your hubby and family soon.
We are waiting on a show and tell at the office! See you soon!

Adam said...

UPDATE: Ashley is feeling much better now and is preparing to come home. She is currently (1:30 PM our time, 12:30 am her time) resting before leaving at 3:30 am her time. They will be flying from Ho Chi Minh City to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Chicago and Chicago to Pittsburgh. I will be picking her up in Pittsburgh tomorrow evening. She will, I am sure, update and contact everyone once she is back and settled in. She only has a few days to rest before work and school start back up again. Thanks again to everyone for taking interest in this. Photos, stories and show and tell to come...
-Adam

Adam said...

UPDATE: Ashley is currently (10:40 am our time) flying from Hong Kong to Chicago and should land approximately 3:30 pm (our time.) She is then set to land in Pittsburgh around 7:00 pm, where I will pick her up and bring her home.
-Adam